Thursday 21 May 2009

A humanist with a sound vision of the nation


I have known Emha Ainun Nadjib well for a long time. For sure, I want to say that Indonesia needs a figure, a character and an individual who understands culture like Cak Nun. He is able to smoothly express ideas and criticisms both religious and political. I also know him to be a humanist who quickly responds to the problems faced by people. I know him to possess a sound vision of the nation, a man who dares to state the truth with wisdom. I also know Cak Nun to be consistent and constant on behalf of the religious community. Cak Nun has a theory of mass leadership which every bocah angon[1] of the nation would do well to study, as I have. Congratulations and success.

[1] Reference to the lyrics of Illir-ilir (one of Emha's most well-known songs, written by Sunan Kailjaga, one of Java's legendary Wali Songo saints of Islam), bocah angon, a cattle-herd boy.
By H. Ali Mocthar Ngabalin, MA (Defence Commission, People’s Representative Assembly and former leader of Indonesian Muslim Student Group Pelajar Islam-PII 1994-1996)

Translated by Ian L. Betts

No comments:

Post a Comment