Monday 11 May 2009

Rendra, On Emha Ainun Nadjib


The Emha Ainun Nadjib that I know is a Muslim leader (Kiai) who has greatly helped me understand the Holy Book of Allah. I do not know the Arabic languaage. Through Emha I have come to enjoy the beauty and wonder of the Holy Book.

Emha always uses contemporary and universal language to explain the contents of these enlightening and sacred verses. The journey of my life has been much altered by the advice of Emha, who is as smooth as he is subversive. He is an authority on the richness of language and commands a wealth of metaphor.

For me, he is a selfless and creative guide, who has led me to states of inner awareness and piety. He is a true friend, whom I love.
By Wahyu Sulaiman Rendra Writer, poet, artist, Cipayung Jaya
Translated by Ian L. Betts

No comments:

Post a Comment